campaign reporting filings for the recent Wampanoag-Genting Indian casino ballot proposal in Taunton, MA reveal what the people of Taunton can expect from the promised Wampanoag "good faith" agreement negotiated with trusting Mayor Tom Hoye (Trusting Tom) to spend and hire locally in Taunton.
Of those Taunton residents hired to work as "campaign consultants" on the Together for Taunton campaign, solely funded by the Wampanoag's financial backers in Malaysia, all were paid significantly less than the Mashpee tribe member consultants and other non-Taunton residents hired. In fact, non-Taunton resident employees were paid 88 percent higher wages on average by the Wampanoag for their campaign work.
Four Taunton residents received a combined $21,850 in consulting fees for their staff work on the Together for Taunton campaign - for an average payment of $5,463 for their work in the first reporting period. Compared with $39,666 paid to four non-Taunton consultants (including two Mashpee tribe members) - for an average payment of $9,917. Taunton resident jobs on the campaign paid 45 percent less than others hired by the Wampanoag. If that math carries through to the casino, those $35,000 per year average salary jobs promised by Cedric "crush the competition" Cromwell will translate to $19,600 jobs for Taunton residents - or more likely, immigrants willing to do low paying hard labor work who will move into or near Taunton. (By the way, it will be this influx of low-income wage earners and their families that will - according to Taunton's mitigation expert consulting report - increase local public school costs by more than $890,000 per year. The City's intergovernmental agreement (IGA) negotiate by the Mayor with the Tribe secured only $360,000 in annual mitigation costs from the casino for schools - a $540,000 additional deficit which while have to come from local taxpayers.)
As for "buying local" good faith? Other than spending a paltry 6 percent of their printing budget with a local Taunton printer (the remaining 94 percent being spent with printers in Cambridge and Stoneham), virtually no goods or services other than pizza, parking and rent were purchased in Taunton. The campaign couldn't even be bothered to stay local for basic office and cleaning supplies. The total goods and local services purchased in Taunton amounted to $6,650 less than 10 percent of their goods & services purchased. Food (pizza) being a significant portion of that spend - guess they couldn't find anyone outside of Taunton willing to deliver.
If we consider the Wampanoag-owned, non-tax paying restaurants, bars, parking, hotels, stores and whatnot the Tribe's proposed Indian casino complex will include once built, we can likely kiss all those local minimum wage-paying pizza deliver jobs goodbye as well.
Trusting Tom is starting to look more like the Taunton village idiot than a Mayor entrusted to negotiate good contracts on behalf of his residents.